Saturday, May 12, 2012

3 Great Blogs for Playful Mamas

Earlier this week in the morning I was [yet again] thinking about something I could post on our blog... I narrated the beginning sentences in my head, just as I always do, and "rewrote" and "edited." And then, about 10 minutes later as my son let me know I was done getting ready ;), the thoughts flew from my brain, probably never to be retrieved. This happens a lot, especially when I lay in bed at night (losing the thoughts when I drift off), or when I'm getting ready in the morning. When I do remember my thoughts at a later time I often decide, "nobody wants to read about that anyway"...

But I came across a new blog.

There are 3 blogs that have made quite a big difference in inspiring and encouraging me to be the mom I want to be, the mom that God has called me to be - a present, playful mama!. So, I want to share them!! I think they are TOTALLY worth reading regularly. I like to follow them on facebook, as they post "quick" helpful/encouraging things on their pages as well.

Play At Home Mom
http://playathomemom3.blogspot.com/
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Play-at-Home-Mom/174614952594331
http://pinterest.com/playathomemom3/

Hands Free Mama
http://www.handsfreemama.com/
https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Hands-Free-Revolution/148689625181672

Janet Lansbury - Elevating Childcare
http://www.janetlansbury.com/
https://www.facebook.com/janetlansburyElevatingChildCare

Hands Free Mama was the one I came across today. The main message is something I've definitely been seeking to put into practice in my life - set down the phone/laptop/housework, turn off the tv, and invest in my son and my husband. Not just being near them, but totally with them. Josh and I don't watch shows while Jordan is awake, we watch Mickey Mouse in times of desperation and we play Baby Faith as part of our evening routine. But, I often want to get "stuff" done during times that I really could be investing in my son. I've really been working on that. This excerpt from “Song for a Fifth Child” by Ruth Hulbert Hamilton should be my mantra...
{…The cleaning and scrubbing will wait till tomorrow,
For children grow up, I’ve learned to my sorrow.
So quiet down, cobwebs. Dust go to sleep.
I’m rocking my baby and babies don’t keep.}

Play at Home Mom is an AMAZING resource hub for ideas and activities for play... and was my inspiration for more "authentic" toys that serve many purposes in play instead of the ones with blinking lights and pretty buttons that have one function that gets boring quickly. Also, it's my encouragement not to be a "helicopter mom." PAHM is full of pictures and descriptions and endless play ideas. Definitely check them out on Pinterest.

Janet Lansbury is a supporter of Magda Gerber and Resources for Infant Educarers. Magda Gerber encouraged parents to "Act in a way that was in tune with his or her baby's need for free exploration on the one hand, and a safe haven for rest and comfort on the other. Parents were reminded to 'Do less; observe more; enjoy most.'" Janet shares her experiences with RIE and wisdom for parenting.

Something I read a few weeks ago helped put things into perspective as well. I don't always have the time, or 6 hands and two heads, to play with my son every moment and get everything done. And I came to the full realization that I don't NEED to do that!! To be there for my son is also to allow him to grow and play independently as well.

While I don't agree with everything on all these blogs, I love the encouragement and ideas they provide!! Maybe they can do the same for you.

No comments :

Post a Comment