Thursday, March 31, 2011

Love. Joy. Children.

To start off, I must include a tidbit I typed up a couple Fridays ago, after my first few days with just me taking care of Justin [20 months] & Miles [2 months] (with Kameron popping in and out, of course, as his office is in the basement :-)).
Well the great news this week is that I am more than surviving nannying both boys with mama Heather back at work after maternity leave! It has gone very well! I am certainly more tired, but we are getting into the swing of things and I feel confident in caring for both boys by myself - yay!! It's also quite the workout... bonus? ;-)

Reading back through those four sentences, I have to say things continue in the same manner... except I would include a few more words such as love, joy, and smiles. Many times throughout the day, despite sometimes feeling tired... okay, exhausted... I still get to experience such great love, joy, and I smile. A lot. I could go on with many more words than you feel like sitting and reading right now with stories that would make you smile and laugh, but I'll just choose a few highlights!
Hard to tell, but me, Justin & Miles snuggling together in the rocker - putting Miles to sleep and reading to Justin :-) {I took a picture of us on the video monitor}

Some of the simple things that bring me such great joy definitely include working on learning new words and how to do new things with Justin. My favorite word right now? Definitely my name! Justin's way of mixing "Yee" and "Lee" into one word to get my attention or point to and define something as mine is SOO fun to hear! I also really love how much Justin uses "please." And how, if he's using a very whiny tone of voice, you can ask him to use a nice tone of voice and his tone changes completely (so glad his mom started that when the whiny voice was getting a little overwhelming during the beginning weeks of caring for both boys!) I also find great joy in holding the phone up to his ear to say "hi" or "buh bye" to Josh - and Josh likes it too :-)

I also find joy in Justin's love for trucks, cars, and the "vroom" sound. He can "vroom" his toys around for a long time, and it's a great reminder to me to find joy in the simple things in life - to not overlook being entertained with simplicity as children are.

Lastly, I find joy and absolutely love seeing Justin and Miles smile. I love doing things that make Justin smile, and I love when he does something, then looks toward me with that smile that says, "Look what I did! Awesome!" Often followed by his childlike, "Wow!" :-) Justin's hugs and kisses are not far behind, either!!

Okay, I was going through pictures and must include one specific thing this week that brought me great joy. Justin watches me tuck Miles into the swing daily, and yesterday Justin got my attention in the kitchen and was pointing and saying "Mi, Mi..." Since Miles was upstairs sleeping, I was wondering what item of Miles' he was referring to. But, instead, I walked in the dining room and there was Justin's bear, tucked into the swing just the way I do it, and he walked over and turned on the swing and music for his "Mi." He was so proud of himself, and I was so proud of him. So precious.

Justin has really upped his level and success in imitating lately, and it's awesome to teach him new things! It's also a great reminder of the "sponge" minds of children and how I need to be conscious of my actions because he will imitate them. Smell a lesson? Me too - even when I'm not with impressionable children, I must be conscious of my actions, living in a way for Christ that others will want to imitate... and not trying to proclaim Christ yet not follow with action.

Josh opening his gift :)
Okay, last thoughts for tonight... Josh's birthday was this week, and I successfully surprised him with his gift of NFL Training Camp for the Wii. I LOVE when I successfully surprise him! I also am loving the playfulness and joy that seems to be growing between us as we grow closer as we expect our first child. We are experiencing new discussions and new fears as we take our Labor and Delivery class. But, we are growing as a couple, as husband and wife, as soon-to-be mommy and daddy. I am so glad that we are doing things to grow closer, I feel that's important at any time during a marriage, but especially as the marriage experiences new trials! More on that in another post :-)

Josh's cake from the youth group leaders
Time for bed - just got back home a little bit ago as I took brownies and mini muffins to the church as it was Josh's week to provide snack for choir practice!

No comments :

Post a Comment