Saturday, February 22, 2014

quick tip: receipt organization

I used to keep all my receipts together, in one giant unorganized pile, like I can imagine tons of people do! I filed bills and statements, but receipts were a mess. For multiple reasons, I really wanted to get that under control. My idea may not be original, but I thought of it and it works great!


I simply take random [aka: even if I did decide to continue to scrapbook with all the supplies I bought over the years, I probably won't use this!] 12x12 scrapbook paper, then:
  • fold in half
  • staple or double-side-sticky-tape the ends closed
  • print or write labels for the front. I do two months per envelope; ex: Jan-Feb 2014.
Regular store receipts fit either full length or folded in half (or thirds sometimes!), and full 8.5x11 receipts fit folded in half easily. I store the large receipts in the back, store receipt tape in front, always putting the most recent in the front of the sets. 
I did this for year and it was very helpful, and easy to stick in a box at the end of the year. So I did it again, and will continue until I find something I like more ;) I've already needed to find a receipt for something for taxes from last year twice and it was easy to find the transaction in my personal finance software (Quicken) and then find in the corresponding envelope. 

No comments :

Post a Comment